|Jens Dietrich, Associate Professor
Massey University - Manawatu Campus
School of Engineering and Advanced Technology (SEAT)
Ag Hort Building, Room 3.42
Private Bag 11 222
Computer Science Hands-On. Via Distance Education.
Massey University (Te Kunenga ki Purehuroa) is one of New Zealand's largest universities, with approximately 35,000 students, 17,000 of whom are extramural (distance education). Massey employs about 3,000 academics in three physical locations in Palmerston North, Wellington and Albany (Auckland). Massey offers several undergraduate and postgraduate information technology related degrees, including the Bachelor of Information Science in Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering. Delivering this program extramurally is challenging, and has to address issues like
- fair assessment of different student cohorts including internal and extramural students
- tutoring extramural students
- delivering lectures (and not only lecture notes) to extramural students
- addressing the competition by free massive open online courses (Coursera, Stanford, etc)
- making money in an environment where public universities are underfunded
I will discuss these issues and the solutions we have developed in this presentation.